For those looking to rip, burn, back up, convert, edit, and organize digital media, Nero 10 Platinum HD has a tool for that. The refurbished multimedia suite is about as comprehensive as they come, and your hard drive will feel it: the installation file is massive (300MB) and once Nero is on your machine, it consumes a hefty serving of memory (1.5GB). However, considering all it can do, we're hard pressed to complain.
One thing we bemoaned in the previous iteration of Nero 10 was the glut of different tools--and corresponding shortcuts--of which it was made. One of the main improvements in this latest version is that it has taken down the total number from 10 to three: Burning ROM, BackItUp, and Vision Xtra, which contains MediaHub and Vision and is itself reviewed completely here.
As for what Nero 10 Platinum HD can do, the short answer is pretty much everything you'd expect from a multimedia suite. It's an audio, video, photo, data, and home entertainment workhorse that lets you edit MP3s, capture and edit HD video, record and playback TV, create slideshows, back up data, recover data from damaged disks, convert audio files, check your hardware specs, and design disc covers with ease. Further, Nero performs with impressive speed, starting up quickly and performing tasks at a rate that won't leave you banging your head against the desk in impatient frustration.
Of course, that all carries over from before. The new functionality, which you might have gathered from the "HD" designation in the title, focuses on high-def video features. You get Blu-ray Disc playback as well as burning and backing up to the format. Nero also includes the Move-It plug-in, which lets you convert and transfer content for mobile devices, including the iPod and Android devices. Better yet, the settings for the various supported devices are preprogrammed, making transcoding a simple process.
Minimum system requirements for Nero Multimedia Suite 10
* Windows® XP SP3 (32bit), Windows Vista® SP1 (32 and 64bit), Windows® 7 Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate (32 and 64bit)
* 2 GHz AMD or Intel® processor
* 512 MB RAM (1 GB RAM for Windows Vista® or Windows® 7)
* 5 GB hard drive space for a typical installation of all components (including templates, content and temporary disk space)
* DirectX® 9.0 compliant graphics card with 3D acceleration, 16-bit color, and a minimum of 128 MB video memory is required (32-bit, true color, 256 MB dedicated video RAM, and support for Shader Model 3.0 is recommended)
* DVD disc drive for installation and playback
* CD, DVD, or Blu-ray Disc recordable or rewritable drive for burning and video authoring
* DirectX® 9.0c revision 30 (August 2006)
* Windows Media® Player 9
* Third party components such as Microsoft Windows® Installer 4.5, Microsoft .NET® 3.5 SP1 and Microsoft Silverlight™ 3 are shipped with the product or automated download if not included in the package
* For some services an Internet connection is required (DSL-1000 and higher recommended). Internet connection charges are the user's responsibility